Breakfast may or may not be the most important meal of the day, but it's certainly the tastiest! I love the cuisine of breakfast almost completely across the board and unlike lunch and dinner breakfast is good anytime of day (save, of course, for cold pizza).
However, I must constantly reconcile my love of a.m. eats with my severe hatred of getting up too much before 10 or 11. What's a boy to do?
Anyways, I thought I'd share one of my favorite, and simplest, breakfast treats today: the honey nut English muffin!
For this application you will need:
- 1 English muffin
- butter or margarine
- about 1/3 cup of raw nuts, coarsely chopped (I like a mix of pecan, almonds and walnuts)
- toaster oven
- small piece of foil
- split your muffin and place it in the toaster
- chop nuts and place them in a small vessel made from folded foil (I like a square, play pen shaped device, but anything walled with an open top will do)
- start your toaster!
- after a few minutes toasting, about 2 on mine, but use your judgment based on knowledge of your own toaster, place the foil container of nuts in the toaster oven.
- when the nuts just begin to smell toasty and take color remove them.
- butter the English muffin, top with the toasted nuts, then drizzle honey over top
If you don't have a toaster oven gently toast the nuts in a small skillet on your range over medium-low heat. Whatever heating implement you use keep an eye and nose on the nuts as they go from toasty and delicious to burnt-to-a-crisp in just a few moments due to their high oil content.